Reading at CCBCThe Reading and Language Department at CCBC offers a holistic approach to education, which broadens students’ perspectives by exposing them to new ideas.
This approach facilitates success and achievement through academic and critical literacies, language acquisition, and global awareness. Specifically, the department provides courses which develop critical thinking, reading, and language while promoting global awareness, intercultural competence, and diversity.
The Reading and Language Department at CCBC achieves its vision of creating global citizens through:
Academic Literacy and Language Acquisition
- Developing reading and language skills needed for academic and professional purposes;
- Facilitating students' understanding and appropriate use of academic discourses;
- Strengthening students’ ability to bridge the gaps between comprehension and application;
- Fostering students' understanding of information and ideas in complex academic texts that represent multiple worldviews;
- Assisting students to access and utilize authentic learning materials in multimedia environments through information and media literacies;
- Developing proficiency in the use of current technologies to enhance independent study; and
- Inciting students to become independent learners through the use of self-regulatory learning strategies.
Critical Literacy and Global Awareness
- Improving students' ability to critically respond to, synthesize, and discuss ideas related to varying social, cultural, historical, and political perspectives;
- Encouraging the development of textual analysis skills so that students can critically assess written, verbal, and visual texts;
- Developing students’ global perspectives and intercultural competence;
- Promoting comparisons of students’ own languages and cultures to those of others;
- Fostering awareness and appreciation of linguistic diversity in the classroom; and
- Reinforcing and furthering knowledge of other disciplines through course content.