Human Services CE
HMS 005 – Critical Business Thinking
Examine a process for analyzing employee issues and developing solutions that lead to increased motivation and employee retention levels.
1. discuss workplace values and attitudes,
2. identify a process for basic problem-solving,
3. demonstrate problem-solving techniques to increase employee retention, and
4. demonstrate motivational techniques to increase employee retention.
HMS 023 – Keys to Effective Communication
This course is designed to build effective conversational and communication skills to create better professional relationships.
1. demonstrate how to build rapport with a listener;
2. describe how to pace, link, and lead a conversation;
3. list different motivators for a listener;
4. describe several ways to communicate effectively with a child; and
5. demonstrate the ability to communicate in a stressful situation.
HMS 024 – Foundations and Applications of Residential Youth Care
Learn to work in a therapeutic residential milieu. Topics include philosophy of youth care, therapeutic milieu, report writing, suicide prevention, ethics, cultural competencies, relationship building, and behavior management. Intended for residential youth care workers.
1. describe a therapeutic milieu and identify a youth care worker┐s role in a residential setting;
2. demonstrate the ability to form relationships with the young people in care and provide the context for change to occur;
3. provide skill building groups in youth of care;
4. discuss how to consistently meet the physical and safety needs of those in care;
5. demonstrate the ability to balance the needs of the individuals with the needs of the milieu; and
6. discuss detection, assessment, and management of a suicidal youth.
HMS 025 – Global Career Development Facilitator Core
This Career Development Facilitator Program core course is designed to enable the student to learn about career development resources, assessments, and a student┐s professional strengths and needed improvements in career development facilitation. Topics to be covered include helping skills; labor market information and resources; assessment; working with diverse populations; ethical and legal issues; career development theories and models; employability skills; training clients and peers; program management and implementation; promotion and public relations; technology and career development; and consultation/supervision.
1. identify and use career information resources to assist customers/students with career decision-making and employability skills;
2. access and interpret employment trends and labor market information;
3. describe and assess how to apply career development theory to practice through the development of the professional student/client case study portfolios and career development planning in an organization;
4. demonstrate competence in the understanding, administration, and interpretation of career development assessments through class activities and discussions;
5. create quality career development services or programs as evidence by individual projects; and
6. apply to sit for the GCDF Credential Exam with the required combination of education and experience.
HMS 026 – GCDF Capstone
The Global Career Development Facilitator (GCDF) Capstone course is designed to enable the student to learn the practical application of career development and workforce techniques and strategies. Instruction will explain the design of integrated programs to serve clients┐ career development and workforce development needs. This course builds upon and applies the learning from the basic GCDF course. Topics to be covered include analyzing labor market information and resources, selecting assessment tools, choosing a career development model, selecting appropriate training approaches for clients, constructing and managing programs, techniques for successful program implementation, and applied public relations and promotion.
1. conduct a thorough labor market information analysis,
2. identify specific resources necessary to implement a career development program,
3. apply a program management approach to develop a career development program,
4. apply a program management approach to develop client and/or peer training programs, and
5. develop an integrated promotion and public relations plan for successful career programs.