Law - CE
LWW 005 – Employment Law Fundamentals
The course is designed to instruct students how to master the basics of employment law so you can legally hire, evaluate and manage employees as a manager, supervisor, small business owner, human resource specialist, or corporate executive. Topics include employee, independent contractor, employee benefits, effective hiring, evaluation, and termination procedures; methods to resolve employment disputes in and out of court; discrimination and union laws; and workplace safety rules; ethical dilemmas, hiring, firing, working conditions, job discrimination and sexual harassment, product safety, truthful advertising and the natural environment.
1. analyze the nature and extent of employee rights;
2. develop ethical personnel policies and procedures;
3. explain the difference between an employee and an independent contractor;
4. explain employment benefit options, identify laws that govern employee benefits including the Fair Labor Standards (FLSA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and identify internet resources for employment benefits; and
5. explain workplace safety including OSHA general and special duty provisions, OSHA reporting and penalties, and Workers Compensation.