Music - CE
MSC 029 – Music Education: Music by the Masters
Discover or rediscover master composers such as J.S. Bach, Handel, Hayden, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Wagner, Verdi, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Bartok and others with this study of symphony, opera, concerto, art song, tone poem and Broadway musicals.
1. demonstrate an understanding of classical music as an art form,
2. define classical music concepts and terminology,
3. discuss the differences of the art forms studied, and
4. identify well-known opera houses and concert halls.
MSC 050 – Guitar Basics
This course is designed to enable students to learn the fundamentals needed to play a guitar and to learn about the general history of guitar evolution. Students will learn tuning and maintenance skills, hand positioning techniques, basic chord changes and progressions, and strumming styles. In addition, students will learn how to purchase appropriate music, strings, and equipment for their instrument. Topics to be covered include course introduction, tuning and posture, and playing and reading techniques.
1. discuss the basic evolution of stringed instruments,
2. demonstrate an understanding of basic guitar techniques to play easy harmonic songs,
3. demonstrate the ability to read tablature, and
4. demonstrate the ability to tune a guitar and train the ear.
MSC 051 – Intermediate Guitar
This course is designed to enable students to review the fundamentals needed to play a guitar while offering more advanced chord progressions and strumming techniques. Students will learn the various skills needed to play classical, blues, and rock guitar music as well as how to change guitar strings. More advanced guitar tablature, music reading, and symbols will be discussed. Topics to be covered include course introduction, tuning and posture, and playing and reading techniques.
1. demonstrate improved guitar skills,
2. demonstrate an understanding of advanced guitar techniques,
3. demonstrate improved theory skills, and
4. demonstrate the ability to change guitar strings.
MSC 064 – Music Education: The Music of George Gershwin
Capture the flavor of the times when the genius of George Gershwin budded and grew. View both the important and the trivial that affected his day-to-day life, the fashions, the inventions, the social changes and war and peace. Discover how New York shaped him and his music. Hear and see his works performed by the giants of that era.
1. identify the melodies popularized in his music;
2. recognize the dance interpretations of Gershwin's songs;
3. discuss the modern revival of his music in songs and dance;
4. identify the contributions of Ira Gershwin as lyricist to George Gershwin's music; and
5. develop a technical vocabulary of musical terms.
MSC 078 – MUSIC BY THE MASTERS
1. explain the structures of these different types of classical music, and
2. apply this knowledge to other pieces of classical music.
MSC 079 – HIST/20TH CENT AMERICAN MUSIC
1. discuss the relevant historical highlights, timelines and personalities of 20th Century American music, especially during the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s;
2. identify the different kinds of music during this era; and
3. list the important historical events that occurred during the time of each of these musical genres.