Veterinary Science CE
VES 020 – Become a Veterinary Assistant II: Canine Reproduction
This course, taught by a practicing veterinarian provides the student with the information needed to understand the principles of sound dog breeding practices which leading to the production of healthy puppies. Topics include canine reproduction, dog breeding, health, common reproductive problems, pregnancy, postpartum complications, and puppy care, and more.
1. understand how to assess, select, and manage candidates for a sound breeding program;
2. describe the reproductive anatomy of the male dog and diseases that affect fertility and breeding;
3. explain the behavioral and hormonal changes in the reproductive cycle to determine the best time to breed;
4. investigate the disease pyometra and other diseases of the female that cause infertility; and
5. recognize what signs indicate a problem in a female that has just whelped and what diseases they represent.
VES 021 – Canine Good Citizen Certification Preparation
This course is designed to enable the student to learn how to prepare his/her dog for becoming a visiting companion at facilities such as nursing homes and hospitals and for owner and dog to take the American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen® test. Topics to be covered include training the dog to have good behavior, tolerance, obedience, and friendliness.
1. demonstrate the dog¿s ability to perform calm leash walking,
2. demonstrate obedience behaviors with the dog,
3. demonstrate the ability to control behavior,
4. demonstrate the dog¿s ability to tolerate various intensities of touch and distractions, and
5. demonstrate the dog¿s ability to calmly greet other dogs.