How to Determine Residency


How to Determine Residency Status

The following statement reflects the College's policy on residence as set down by The Community College of Baltimore County in conformance with the Maryland Higher Education Commission General Regulations.

  • A student must reside in Baltimore County to be eligible for county tuition rates or in the State of Maryland, outside of Baltimore County, to be eligible for state tuition rates.
  • A student is a Maryland or County resident if he/she has maintained his/her legal domicile there for a period of not less than three months prior to the beginning of a semester.

Domicile as used in this regulation is defined as a person' s permanent place of abode, where physical presence and possessions are maintained and where he/she intends to remain indefinitely. The domicile of a person who received more than one-half of his/her financial support from others in the most recently completed year is the domicile of the person contributing the greatest portion of support, without regard to whether the parties are related by blood or marriage. A student who is under 18 years of age must claim his/her residence as that of his/her parents or legal guardians. Documents presented after the last day of the third week of classes, or after 20% equivalence of the semester or session, will be reviewed and considered for the next term. It is the responsibility of the student to:

Provide all required documentation to the Enrollment Services Center or the Registrar's office when providing a change of address. An employer or post office box address cannot be used as a domicile address.

    • Residency is supported by your physical presence of person and goods and presentation of two or more of these documents dated three months before the start of the enrollment period when moving into Maryland or Baltimore County:
      • State ID or information card for ID
      • Utility bill (gas/electric, phone, cable)
      • Bank statement
      • IRS tax transcript
      • Lease or rental agreement
      • Voter's registration card

Students are required to sign a statement verifying their residency claims. When residency is questioned, the burden of proof of domicile is upon the student who must provide additional documentation which substantiates his/her claim. Examples of such documentation are given below:

  1. Valid mortgage statement or lease agreement showing ownership or rental of local living quarters (notarized letters are not acceptable neither are mortgages representing investment properties).
  2. Registration to vote in the state of Maryland or Baltimore County, for in-state and in-county residence, respectively.
  3. Possession of a valid Maryland driver's license with a local address specified (proof of address change may be required).
  4. Motor vehicle registration showing the local state or county address.
  5. Proof of payment of Maryland State or local piggyback income taxes and all income earned including all income earned outside the state (for instate residency claims).

Any international student whose residence status is unclear may contact the international student adviser in the Counseling Center.

Students holding the following categories of Non-immigrant Visas may not establish domicile: B, C, D, F, H-2, 3, 4, J, M, O-2, 3, P and Q. Holders of the mentioned visas do not qualify for in-state tuition. For exceptions in these categories only, contact International Student Services.

text only | site map | privacy | contact CCBC
©2005 Copyright Community College of Baltimore County. All rights reserved.