Writing Help, In-Person and OnlineNeed help completing a writing assignment? The CCBC Online Writing Lab (OWL) and campus Writing Centers are here for you. Both are staffed by English department faculty and provide free writing assistance to students.
We offer help for all stages of the writing process: from brainstorming through rough drafts, to editing and final essays. There is a Writing Center on the Catonsville, Dundalk, and Essex campuses as well as the Owings Mills extension center and the Online Writing Lab is available 24 hours a day.
Schedule an appointment at the Writing Center
You can seek help for any course you are taking at CCBC, at any point in the writing process. Each session lasts 30 minutes and appointments are strongly encouraged.
Our Writing consultants can help you:
- Come up with ideas to write about in your assignment
- Organize your thoughts
- Edit your draft
- Format your document
- Cite sources (using any documentation style)
- Learn how to proofread your own work
- Understand comments your professor has made on an assignment.
You may schedule one appointment a day and two per week. Hours of operation vary by semester and campus. Be sure to call the Writing Center on your campus for more information and to schedule an appointment.
What to bring to your writing center appointment
- A copy of your assignment
- Your class textbook
- A draft of the assignment (if you have already started)
- Pen and paper
- Copies of any handouts from your professor regarding his or her expectations for the assignment
- Any other similar assignments your professor for which your professor has provided feedback.
- Write any portions of your assignment
- Proofread your written work
- Comment on grades or predict future grades
After your appointment
A Writing Consultant's job is not to fix your paper. We give you tools to make your paper–and future writing–better. For this reason, it is very important that you make the changes you and your Consultant have discussed and that you continue to apply what you have learned. Many students find coming to the Writing Center multiple times throughout the semester really helps their writing, and we definitely encourage this.