Information Security Analyst (Security+ Certification), Continuing Education Workforce Certificate
Possible career opportunities for those with a CompTIA® Security+ certification include Information Security Analyst, Information Security Specialist, Network Security Analyst, Security Administrator, Security Analyst, and Systems Analyst. Tasks associated with these positions include: develop plans to safeguard sensitive data, perform risk assessments, conduct penetration testing, encrypt data transmissions and erect firewalls, research IT security trends, monitor current reports of computer viruses, and recommend security upgrades. This career requires continued training and education.
This program prepares students to take the CompTIA® Security+ exam, and for a career in computer network security. Gain an introduction to the Information Security field and explore how it relates to other IT areas and specialized security fields. Students learn current security essentials; common security threats and ramifications; developing secure information security strategies; common attacks and how to safeguard against them; cryptography basics; physical security; disaster recovery; business continuity; the role of computer forensics in information security; and ethical behavior appropriate to security-related technologies.
Successful candidates must be self-motivated, independent learners, detail-oriented, and have strong analytical skills, the ability to take direction, and the ability to work both independently and as a team member.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, overall employment of information security analysts is projected to grow 37% from 2020 to 2030 in Maryland. Projected annual job openings in Maryland are 1,000. Additional career information may be found in Career Coach: https://ccbcmd.lightcastcc.com/.
Upon successful completion of this Continuing Education Workforce Certificate, students will be able to:
- prepare to pass the CompTIA Security+ certification exam;
- perform the various responsibilities and tasks required for an information security analyst;
- assess the security posture of an enterprise environment to recommend and implement appropriate security solutions;
- monitor and secure hybrid environments, including cloud, mobile, and IoT;
- operate with an awareness of applicable laws and policies, including principles of governance, risk, and compliance; and
- identify, analyze, and respond to security events and incidents.