English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Other
CCBC offers a comprehensive ESOL program that helps multilingual students develop English for success in multiple contexts, including college courses and workplace settings.
Upon successful completion of the English for Speakers of Other Languages Program, students will be able to:
- complete a variety of writing assignments for multiple rhetorical situations (including college courses and workplace settings);
- apply strategies to comprehend and critically respond to college-level texts;
- conduct research and integrate sources into written assignments and presentations; and
- use technology to enhance language development, access course content, and produce assignments required in college courses.
CCBC offers a comprehensive ESOL program that helps multilingual students develop English for success in multiple contexts, including college and workplace settings.
Type of Credential
Contacts and Additional Information
CCBC Catonsville/Owings Mills, Sarah Barnhardt
443-840-5881 or email@example.com
CCBC Dundalk/Essex, Stacie Miller
443-840-1993 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Some advanced and academic level ESOL courses are offered in accelerated formats and may be taken with credit-level courses.
- ESOL courses are offered in face-to-face, online, blended and remote synchronous formats.
- Some ESOL courses use free online materials and do not require students to purchase textbooks.
Courses Needed for this Program*
- ESOL 022 - Basic ESOL Grammar and Communication
- ESOL 023 - Basic ESOL Writing
- ESOL 024 - Basic ESOL Reading
- ESOL 032 - Intermediate ESOL Grammar and Communication
- ESOL 033 - Intermediate ESOL Writing
- ESOL 034 - Intermediate ESOL Reading
- ESOL 042 - Advanced ESOL Grammar and Communication
- ESOL 043 - Advanced ESOL Writing
- ESOL 044 - Advanced ESOL Reading
Students must be assessed according to the college's Assessment/Placement policy before enrolling in a course.
Students placed into ESOL courses must begin their ESOL course work immediately within their first semester at CCBC. They may concurrently take non-ESOL courses that do not have ESOL prerequisites*. Students must take at least one ESOL course during each semester of enrollment until ESOL sequence is completed. Students may not enroll in any other courses without concurrently enrolling in the ESOL courses necessary to complete the ESOL sequence. Students are encouraged to take all ESOL courses in each level simultaneously whenever possible.
*Exception: Students who enroll is ALPESOL or Learning Communities may take credit courses that have ESOL prerequisites.
**Exception: If students who are enrolled in ESOL classes at CCBC have completed other credit course work successfully at an accredited college or university within the United States as documented by an official college transcript, they are exempt from the ACDV 101 requirement.