Theatre, Fine and Performing Arts Area of Concentration, Associate of Fine Arts
This area of concentration is designed to help students transfer to colleges and universities that offer a B.A. or B.F.A. degree in Theatre. Beyond the General Education requirements and other degree, program, and elective requirements, this concentration should be considered in light of the requirements of the selected transfer institution. Students should consult with a transfer coordinator or their Theatre discipline advisor for information about specific requirements. This sequence of courses should be adjusted to meet the requirements of the transfer institution.
CCBC is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Theatre. Theatre Program areas of concentration follow standards established by that organization.
Upon successful completion of this area of concentration, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of period research and historical perspectives through advanced coursework in both performance and technical theatre that relates to the cultural, social, aesthetic, philosophical and environmental issues utilized in theatrical performance;
- demonstrate mastery of advanced written, oral, verbal and non-verbal communication skills required for immediate employment in the theatre community or audition entry into a baccalaureate level program of study;
- develop enhanced critical thinking, judgment, and problem solving skills through participation in additional production based coursework and advanced independent study that approximates the first two years of a BFA degree program;
- develop a portfolio in several mediums, including stage, film and television for transfer to a BFA program or professional working environment that highlights the best work completed at CCBC emphasizing originality, facility and advanced exploration; and
- participate in a culminating theatre performance experience on campus, in regional theatre or professional internship, that enhances the student's ability for immediate professional employment upon graduation or transfer to a BFA theatre program.