Creating a Transfer Plan

Every college degree, whether an associate or bachelor’s has three components:

  1. General Education (also called core)
  2. Program Requirements
  3. Electives

The number of courses in each component will vary depending on the college and major you select. Every four-year institution has different requirements, so the sooner you choose a major and transfer institution, the better. We recommend choosing a transfer institution before completing 15 credits.

The difference between two-year and four-year institutions

A four-year school is a college or university that grants bachelor’s (baccalaureate) degrees. A university is comprised of more than one college (such as the College of Engineering and the College of Business). Usually the bachelor’s degree is a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or a Bachelor of Science (B.S.), although there are other possibilities. If you complete approximately 30 credits per year, it will take you four years to earn your bachelor’s degree.

Community colleges are often referred to as “two-year” schools because if you complete approximately 30 credits per year, it will take you two years to earn your associate degree. More time may be required depending upon your academic background and work/family responsibilities. If you take fewer than 15 credits a semester, you may wish to consider coursework in the Winter and/or Summer sessions to accelerate your progress.

Associate of Arts (A.A.) and Associate of Science (A.S.) and Associate of Arts in Teaching (A.A.T.) programs at CCBC are equivalent to the first two years of study at many four-year institutions. With planning, your associate degree should match the majority of the requirements at your intended transfer institution.

Maryland Higher Education Commission Policies

MHEC has a number of policies that affect the transfer of credits between CCBC and public four-year school in the state. In general, these policies help ensure the transferability of CCBC courses.
Learn more »