VITAL ProgramYou have an ally at CCBC who understands your needs as a student veteran.
What is VITAL?
Veterans Integration To Academic Leadership (VITAL) is the VA’s approach to reaching out to student veterans. VITAL is a Department of Veterans Affairs initiative to enhance student veterans’ academic success and increase understanding and cultural competency regarding Veterans on university and college campuses. CCBC and the VITAL partnership exists to help veterans address their needs and concerns. It is part of CCBC’s continued effort to aid in the academic success of student veterans. We want to support veterans to use their unique set of strengths, skills and life experiences in the academic setting.
Services for CCBC Student Veterans
- Individual and group mental health services to address readjustment, stress, anger, depression, anxiety and sleep problems;
- Couples and family counseling;
- Assistance with getting disability services (e.g. hearing devices) and academic accommodations (e.g. testing accommodations);
- Assistance with enrollment and care at the VA Maryland Health Care System;
- Connection to VA health care and Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) and Vocational Rehabilitation services;
- Connection to community resources for veterans;
- Support with college processes regarding academic actions and/or conduct issues.
Services for CCBC Employees
- Education for CCBC community about military and veteran culture;
- Consultation about veteran-specific issues that impact performance and academic success;
- Work with CCBC, disability resource centers and other on-campus programs in serving the unique readjustment needs of veterans;
- Assist with communication between the VA Maryland Health Care System and CCBC staff about your concerns, resources and needs;
- VA Campus Toolkit provides additional information and resources for helping to create a veteran-friendly campus and classroom environment.
What to Expect
- Prompt response to phone or email inquiries about the VITAL program;
- Veteran-centered perspective.
Contact Information: VITAL Staffing Transition AnnouncementFollowing Dr. Meade-Eggleston's recent move, Elizabeth Malouf, Ph.D. is the current interim off-campus VITAL coordinator/representative for CCBC staff and students.
Dr. Malouf will be available while the search for an on-campus VITAL coordinator replacement continues. Dr. Malouf and others will work with staff at CCBC to continue to bring VA staff to Student Veteran Association meetings and faculty/staff training events.
Please contact Dr. Malouf at 410.637.1233.