Sustainable Horticulture Program offers two certificate options
Jul 10, 2017CCBC is partnering with the American Landscape Institute (ALI) and TALMAR Gardens, an urban farming program to provide two certificate options for students.
According to Bradley W. Thompson, assistant professor and director of the Sustainable Horticulture Program, “CCBC is extremely excited to be able to offer our students two major and unique options that can lead to careers in fields related to sustainable horticulture.”
American Landscape InstituteThe partnership with the American Landscape Institute (API) creates a two-year college certificate program for high school graduates – a first of its kind management development program for the Horticulture and Landscape industries. The owners of leading landscape and nursery companies will offer mentoring, hands-on field experience and an 80 percent scholarship to CCBC. Program graduates will have the management training to serve as first-line supervisors for their sponsor companies and will be awarded the remaining 20 percent of their tuition.
The American Landscape Institute will match applicants with leading Baltimore-area landscape or nursery companies. When accepted into the program, student trainees will work four (4) days per week for the sponsor company and will be paid $11/hour while gaining valuable on-the-job training. On the fifth day of each week, student trainees will attend classes at CCBC. Monthly Saturday field trips and workshops will provide additional training.
TALMAR Gardens and Horticulture Therapy ProgramIn February 2017, CCBC offered its first class in partnership with TALMAR Gardens, a non-for-profit center located in the Cromwell Valley section of Baltimore County on a 10-acre farm, providing a unique field practicum of hands-on experience working in small scale sustainable urban agriculture.
The field practicums are part of a 30-credit Greenhouse certificate sequence. Students enrolled at CCBC can earn three credits each semester up to four semesters by enrolling in Cooperative Education courses where students work at TALMAR Farms under the instruction of TALMAR personnel. These experiences are an integral part of the collaboration where CCBC offers college classroom coursework and TALMAR provides the opportunity for experiential learning intended to prepare students to work in the horticultural industry, agri-business or to work at or operate small sustainable farms. Students who complete the program will meet the current published requirements for eligibility for Baltimore County or City vacant farm parcels on which to begin their production. This partnership also makes CCBC students eligible for certificates offered by TALMAR.
For additional information on either of these Sustainable Horticulture partnerships, contact Professor Bradley Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 443.840.3754.