How to Request Federal Tax Transcripts

As part of the verification process, we are required to request tax transcripts if the IRS Data Retrieval is not used.  Tax filers can request a federal tax transcript, free of charge, in one of three ways.

Online Request

  • Visit the IRS website to "Get a tax transcript"
  • You will have the option to either receive your tax transcript online or via mail.  If you decide you would like to access them online, you must create an account.

To order a transcript online:

    1. Click on "Get Transcript ONLINE"
    2. Create an IRS account.  To register and use this service, you must have your Social Security Number, Date of Birth, Filing Status, and Mailing Address from your latest tax return.  You will also need access to an email account, credit card number or account number from an auto loan, mortgage, home equity loan/line of credit, and mobile number with your name on the account.  Returning users can use their created username and password to access this information.
    3. After your account is created, you will be prompted to provide a reason for your request.  Select "Higher Education/Student Aid.
    4. Select 2015 under the Return Transcript.
    5. Your transcript will appear and allow you to print your document.
    6. Bring to the Financial Aid Office. 
    7. These steps can be repeated if a parent(s) is required to submit a tax return transcript.

To order a transcript by mail:

    1. Click on "Get Transcript by MAIL"
    2. Enter the tax filer's Social Security Number, Date of Birth, Street Address, and Zip Code.  This address MUST match what was sent to the IRS when filed for that tax year.
    3. Click Continue.
    4. Select "Return Transcript" and "2015".  Do NOT select Account Transcript.
    5. Click Continue.
    6. If validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper copy within 10 days from the time it was submitted.  
    7. These steps can be repeated if a parent(s) is required to submit a tax return transcript.

Telephone Request

Call 1-800-908-9946.

  • Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their Social Security Number, and Numbers in your street address.  Use the street numbers on your tax returns filed for that year.
  • Select "Option 2" to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
  • Enter "2015" for the tax year.
  • If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper copy within 10 days for the time it was submitted.

Paper Request

Access Form 4506-T to request by mail.

  1. Skip to Page 3 of pdf.
  2. Complete lines 1-4.
  3. Do not enter any information in line 5.
  4. On line 6, enter the tax form type of 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ.
    • Check the box that states the following:

      (a)   Return Transcript, which includes most of the line items of a tax return as filed with the IRS.  A tax transcript does not reflect changes made to the account after the return is processed.  Transcripts are only available for the following returns: Form 1040 series, Form 1065, Form 1120, Form 1120-H, Form 1120-L, and Form 1120S.  Return transcripts are available for the current year and returns processed during the prior 3 processing years. Most requests will be processed within 10 business days.
  5. On line 9, enter the year requested.  For example, for 2016-2017 FAFSA, we would require 2015 tax returns.
  6. Sign, date, and include your phone number.
  7. If you lived in Maryland, mail to the following address (if you lived in a different state, refer to page 4 of the 4506-T document):
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 145500
Stop 2800 F
Cincinnati, OH 45250