IRS DRT Instructions
The best way to verify your income on the FAFSA is to use the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Data Retrieval Tool (DRT). The IRS DRT is easy to use and reduces additional paperwork required by our office to complete verification. Not all students will be eligible to use the DRT, however, if the option is available, we strongly recommend using it!
Follow these easy instructions, if you have already submitted your FAFSA:
- Log into your FAFSA. Make sure to have your FSA ID and password.
- Once logged in, scroll down to find the following link: "Make FAFSA Corrections"
- You will be asked to create a Save Key. The Save Key is a temporary password for you or the parent to return to this specific FAFSA for updates.
- Click Next to access your FAFSA.
- Click on the Financial Information tab and re-review the questions to allow for the option to use the IRS DRT:
- Did you file a Form 1040X amended tax return?
- Did you file a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return?
- Did you file your taxes electronically in the last 3 weeks (or by mail in the last 11 weeks)?
- If you can answer No to these 3 questions, you will be provided an option to Link to the IRS. If you are not eligible, you will have to request it.
- This set of questions will be asked for the student and parent (if the student is a dependent).
- Click on OK to leave the FAFSA on the Web page. This will re-direct to the IRS DRT.
- Click OK to accept the IRS Authorized Use Only pop-up.
- Enter your Filing Status and Street Address EXACTLY the way it was represented on your taxes submitted to the IRS.
- Click Submit.
- If they are allowing you to transfer the information, check the box next to "Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA" and click Transfer Now.
- You will be re-directed back to the FAFSA and you will see a note indicating the transfer was successful.
- Submit your FAFSA by signing it and including the parent information if you are dependent.
If you are submitting your FAFSA for the first time, be sure to follow the instructions in the Financial Information tab (the instructions above should assist you the same way). There will be additional questions before and after the IRS DRT section, however, these steps remain the same.
It can take up to 1 week before we receive your FAFSA updates.