Nurse Refresher Series, Continuing Education Certificate
In the Nurse Refresher Series students will be provided with instruction that updates a nurse's knowledge on the current practice of medical-surgical nursing in the acute care setting. Topics covered include: patient safety; infection control; healthcare trends; electronic healthcare documentation; nursing roles; nursing process; pharmacology and dosage calculation; body systems (neurological, cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal, renal, endocrine, musculoskeletal, and reproductive); nursing considerations regarding: hematology, immunity, gerontology, oncology, and pain management.
Students will have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript). Students will be awarded a Continuing Education Workforce Training Certificate.
Students will be able to apply to the Maryland Board of Nursing for active nursing licensure.
Maryland Board of Nursing (MBON)
4140 Patterson Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21215; 410-585-1900
Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens and Individuals with Disabilities
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development
Non-expired Active or Inactive Maryland Registered Nurse or non-expired Inactive Maryland Licensed Practical Nurse; computer literate; and Internet access.
Students must have the following paperwork turned in to the coordinator prior to the start of class:
- Negative PPD (within 12 months) or negative chest x-ray less than one year old
- Positive titer or proof of vaccination/immunity for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella
- Hepatitis B vaccination or declination form
- Tetanus shot (within 10 years)
- Copy of health insurance card
- Completion of physician medical exam report
- Copy of high school diploma or GED
- Current flu vaccination
Provisional Entry: Prospective students must provide verification of nursing credentials, and must meet with the Program Coordinator prior to registration.
Program Course Sequence
(approximate cost; subject to change)
Nurse Refresher – Part I: Theory
Medical-Surgical Nursing (Single Vol. Ed. w/CC); Brunner & Suddarth; Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; $165
Nursing 2018 Drug Handbook; Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; $45
Nurse Refresher Skills Lab
Nurse Refresher – Part II: Clinical
Course Series Totals:
Skills for Success:
See Technical Standards at the end of this document.
Most hospitals are hiring BSN Registered Nurses. There are increasing vacancies for LPNs in long-term care facilities.
Research your career interests, explore live job postings, take a career assessment, discover which companies in the Baltimore region are hiring, and more. View a brief tutorial video on how to use Career Coach at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnKS2W3Z4k8. Explore career and training opportunities at: https://ccbcmd.emsicareercoach.com/.
Program Contact Information
Essex, HTEC 013
Essex, HTEC 013
Technical Standards for CCBC's Nurse Refresher Training Series
The primary goal of The Community College of Baltimore County's Nurse Refresher Training is to adequately prepare students for re-entry into the workforce as an RN or LPN at the bedside in an acute care hospital, a physician's office, urgent care center, ambulatory care facility, long-term care center and other health care facilities.
Nurses are required to be on their feet for long periods of time, caring for patients at the bedside and transferring and/or positioning patients. They need to exercise safe practices while exposed to unpleasant sights, odors, materials and communicable diseases. Their duties also require them to function quickly with accuracy while being detail-oriented. A high level of manual dexterity, psychomotor skills, and personal integrity are vital.
Following is a partial listing of the types of skills usually required for adequate job performance:
A. Sufficient strength and mobility to:
- Work and/or stand for up to 12 hours
- Lift at least 50 pounds or more and position patients
- Move swiftly within close quarters while maintaining sterile field
- Perform tasks requiring good hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills
B. Adequate vision to:
- Read patient ID bracelets for correct administration of care
- Read instruction sheets and computer screens
- Read medical measuring equipment, scale, thermometer, graduated cylinder, sphygmomanometer, patient files
C. Sufficient hearing to:
- Hear and understand verbal instructions
- Properly use stethoscope
- Interact appropriately with professionals
Interpersonal Skills and Professionalism:
A. Have the ability to:
- Work in a professional manner as part of a team
- Interact in a professional manner with many personalities and attitudes and with people from many different backgrounds
- Respect patient confidentiality and rights
- Interact with other health professionals in a polite and professional manner
B. Sufficient communication skills to:
- Give and receive accurate written and verbal instructions
- Carry out all written and verbal instructions
- Follow proper channels of communication
- Communicate in a calm and professional manner
- Interpret patient needs accurately
- Provide patient/public education related to the nursing assistant/geriatric nursing assistant profession
Intellectual Ability and Emotional Stability To:
- Exercise independent judgment within the practice to properly care for patients
- Accurately identify and carry out tasks delegated by registered nurses
- Work calmly and efficiently in stressful situations
- Maintain calmness during an emergency situation
- Complete program requirements
- Wearing gowns, caps, masks, gloves, and eye protection
- Working in an environment that may be noisy at times
- Working in an environment that exposes one to potentially hazardous materials including cleaning agents and chemicals, body fluids
- Working in an environment with unpleasant odors
- Provide proof of recent immunizations against infectious diseases such as measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, and tetanus
- Receive Hepatitis B vaccinations and or sign a waiver