Do I need to take the placement test?To ensure incoming students are placed in appropriate courses, CCBC tests entry-level academic skills in reading, English, and math.
If you need to take the placement test, we want you to do your best on the placement test and strongly encourage to practice before taking the test!
You will need to take the placement test if you:
- Never attended college before, and;
- Have SAT score (Evidenced Based Reading and Writing) that is below 480 OR;
- Have SAT score (Math) that is below 530
- Have ACT scores that are below 21 in Reading, Writing, and Math.
You may not have to take the placement test if you bring your:
- Transcript from another college/university that shows completion of some college courses, or;
- SAT score of 480 or above in Evidence Based Reading and Writing, dated within two years of the date of your application to CCBC, or;
- SAT score of 530 or above in Math, dated within two years of the date of your application to CCBC, or;
- ACT scores of 21 or above in Reading, Writing and Math, dated within two years of the date of your application to CCBC, or;
- Unweighted High School GPA of 2.5 or higher, or;
- Accuplacer placement test results from another Maryland community college within the last two years (written verification from the other college is required).
You may not need to take all of the parts of the placement test if you:
- Are taking courses for audit (you are just sitting in a class without taking tests or receiving credit).
- Present a college transcript that shows evidence of college-level coursework.
CCBC also offers placement tests in Biology or Chemistry for students interested in waiving chemistry or biology prerequisite courses. The Chemistry and Biology placement tests are not required and will only be administered upon the request. See an academic advisor for more information.