Commercial Vehicle Operator B Class, Continuing Education Workforce Certificate
Commercial vehicle operators with Class B commercial licenses may support either the passenger transportation industry or the distribution of goods and materials. The hospitality industry requires CDL-B drivers, with a "P" - Passenger endorsement, to transport passengers to hotels and airports, operate rental car shuttles, as well as scheduled bus, charter bus, tour bus, urban, and transportation services. Vehicle operators may drive locally, regionally, and/or between urban areas, depending on the nature of the business.
A CDL-B driver without a "P" - Passenger endorsement on their license may operate heavy straight trucks (over 26,000 lbs.), such as dump and non-trailered box vans. CDL-B operators conduct pre-trip vehicle inspections, report safety and equipment issues to the dispatcher, and must conform to USDOT rules and regulations, including the accurate updating of logs and records. Note: This course does not include training towards an "S" endorsement required to operate a school bus.
Upon successful completion of this Continuing Education Workforce Certificate, students will be able to:
1. prepare to pass the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) Commercial Driver's License (CDL) exam;
2. identify pre-trip safety inspection checklist items to pass the MVA CDL exam;
3. explain in detail safe driving practices for operation of a Class B CDL vehicle;
4. demonstrate through hands-on range/road driving practice the ability to set the Class B CDL vehicle in motion and accelerate smoothly forward and backward, parking, shifting, and maneuvering; and
5. demonstrate how to perform air break inspection.
CCBC Credential: Students will be awarded a Continuing Education Workforce Certificate, and will have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript).
Students will be awarded various CDL certificates (e.g. Defensive Driving and New Driver Training).
Maryland Commercial Driver's License B Class (CDL-B)
Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) - upon successfully completing the MVA final licensing exam.
Financial Aid and Payment Options
CCBC currently offers Continuing Education (CE) financial aid to those who qualify. We package public and private funding options to benefit students which include COVID-19 relief funding, the Maryland Sequence Scholarship, CCBC Opportunity Grant funding, Maryland Promise, and Baltimore County College Promise. Financial aid funding is available for select CE courses and programs.
Additional opportunities for financial support include partial payment options through Nelnet Business Solutions and tuition waivers for those who qualify. Resources outside of CCBC may also be available through employer/sponsor paid tuition, the Department of Rehabilitation Services (DORS), and your local office of workforce development.
For more information about funding resources and how to apply for them, please contact the CCBC Continuing Education Information Center at 443-840-4700.
CDL-B: 103 hours
Full time class meets Monday - Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm for 3 weeks.
- Minimum age of 18 (commercial drivers must be 21 years of age to drive across state lines)
- Be able to pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) drug screen & physical
- Possess a valid Maryland Driver's License (regular Class C)
- Maintain zero points for drug/alcohol violations
- Recommended: High School Diploma or GED (highly preferred, but not required)
The Maryland MVA's CDL-B licensing exam occurs at the end of the course. The exam includes pre-trip inspections, range maneuvers, and completion of a road test of 14+ miles.
To apply, go to www.ccbcmd.edu/apply and complete the CCBC Non-Credit Workforce Training Certificate application. An email will then be sent with program information and any additional requirements necessary to apply for the program.
Provisional Entry – Valid Maryland Class C Driver's License.
Prior Learning Assessment
This program has no options for obtaining course waiver(s) for prior learning.
Program Course Sequence
Drive straight trucks, 15+ passenger vans, buses, and coaches