STEM CoreSTEM Core at CCBC is a program designed to expand the pipeline of students in STEM related careers.
Our scholars are part of one of two programs:
- STEM Scholars — students majoring in science, technology, engineering, and/or mathematics (STEM)
- MASS Scholars — STEM majors who have been awarded the Math Acceleration for STEM Students scholarship
CriteriaTo be eligible for STEM Core you must:
- be currently enrolled or plan to enroll in courses at CCBC,
- have a math placement of Math083 (Intermediate Algebra), Math 163 (Precalculus I) or Math 165 (Precalculus II), and
- agree to be part of accelerated math classes.
Program specific requirements
Be a US Citizen, permanent resident or refugee as documented on an I-94 form.
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to demonstrate financial need.
Have a minimum high school GPA 3.0 and completion of Algebra II or higher with at least a B OR have a minimum community college GPA of 2.8 and 12 or more credits earned in the last 2 years; 6 credits of STEM work.
Become enrolled at CCBC full-time (12 credits or more).
STEM Core takes a holistic approach to student success by offering extensive resources and opportunities for our participants. All students are provided the following:
- Accelerated math course — ability to get to or through calculus in one year
- Internship placement assistance — we connect students with local industry and government employers for summer internship opportunities
- Academic and career advising — a full-time STEM Student Support Specialist team is available for 1:1 support to set goals, find solutions to overcome difficulty, and provide career counseling
- Enrichment activities — academic, professional, and cultural seminars workshops and events
- MASS Scholars - Scholarship ranging from $1k–$5K per semester