• Ad for prior learning assessment earn college credits

Wouldn’t it be great if you could earn college credit for what you already know? You actually can through CCBC’s Prior Learning Assessment program.

Prior Learning Assessment evaluates what you’ve learned outside the classroom and determines if that experience can be converted into college credit. Students can earn 75 percent of the credits required for a program of study through Prior Learning Assessment. The remaining 25 percent must be earned directly through CCBC coursework.

The process for earning credits for prior learning is no walk in the park. Students have to prove their experiences are creditworthy by passing exams, submitting a portfolio, and/or providing industry credentials. Some of the credits earned are free, while others can be earned at half the regular cost of tuition.

“Prior Learning Assessment is a great way to get a jump start on earning a college degree,” said CCBC President Sandra Kurtinitis. “When you have so many transferable life experiences, why not get credit for them? You save time, money, and move more quickly into a new career.”