How to Request Federal Tax Return Transcripts
Tax filers can request a federal tax return transcript, free of charge, in one of three ways.
- Go to IRS Get Transcript
- Click "Get Transcript Online"
- Setup an account with the IRS. If you have an account, enter Username and Log In. If you do not have an account, select "Create Account." To register and use this service, you must have your Social Security Number, Date of Birth, Filing Status, and Mailing Address from your latest tax return. You will also need access to an email account, personal account number (from a credit card, mortgage, student loan, home equity loan/line or car loan), and mobile number with your name on the account.
- After your account is created, you will be prompted to provide a reason for your request. Select "Higher Education/Student Aid".
- Select Tax Year that corresponds with the Financial Aid Office request (2017 tax year for 2019-2020 or 2018 tax year for 2020-2021) under the Return Transcript.
- Your transcript will appear and allow you to print your document.
- These steps can be repeated if a parent(s) is required to submit a tax return transcript.