School of Mathematics and Science
- CCBC enrolls over 35,000 credit students a year, 62 percent female, 43 percent minority, and 91 percent 20 or older.
- All CCBC students are required to successfully complete at least one physical science general education course as part of the science general education requirement for earning an Associate’s degree
- The STEM Winter Bridge Program, funded for two consecutive years by the Arconic Foundation, is designed to increase persistence and completion, particularly among underrepresented populations.
- A Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation subgrant with UMBC creates a STEM community and supports curricular alignment projects in STEM areas of study between CCBC and UMBC and the delivery of enhanced advising services for transfer students in STEM related fields.
- Redesigned introductory Math, Biology, and Chemistry courses. Statewide results indicate a 20% increase in student pass rates.
- Over the two year period, 99 students benefited from STEM scholarships, 37% of the awards were made to women.
- Increased educators knowledge of research and effective practices to address issues concerning women and underrepresented student in STEM programs.