SustainabilitySustainability is operating in a way that maintains Earth’s natural resources and allows us to meet the needs of the present without compromising the needs of future generations.
For over a decade CCBC, joined with 682 other institutions of higher learning, pledged to support the American College and University President’s Climate Commitment (ACUPCC). The ACUPCC is a high visibility call for leadership to make campuses more sustainable and address global warming by garnering institutional commitments to reduce, and ultimately neutralize greenhouse gas emissions on campus. With the belief that CCBC’s community can play a dominant role in addressing climate change, we are proud to participate in this effort.
To educate and raise awareness of sustainable practices to ensure and secure the environmental health of the CCBC community.
The mission of the CCBC Sustainability Committees is to promote sustainable initiatives on campus, to educate and engage students in environmentally sound practices, and to inform college-wide policy related to ecological issues.
Our efforts toward sustainability:
- Solar car port installations
- Energy conservation days
- LEED Certification for new buildings
- Green roof on new buildings
- Energy-efficient lighting and water-saving fixtures
- Environmentally-friendly cleaning products
- Free shuttle bus services between campuses
- Hybrid and electric fleet vehicles
- Green parking program
- Community garden
- Single-Stream recycling
- Recycling of construction materials from capital projects
- Re-purposing of downed/removed trees