Transfer Scholarships


There are many forms of financial aid to help transfer students; this page will outline a few of these.

First of foremost all domestic students (U.S.A. Citizens or Green Card Holders) should apply for a FAFSA, each year, by Valentine's Day, February 14th. Even if you think for any reason that you would not qualify for Federal Aid, many state and institutional level scholarships are only awarded to those students that have filed a current FAFSA. This is a free application, and, in no way will harm your scholarship search- so what do you have to lose!

To start your FAFSA log onto: .

There are many other forms of aid; this page will focus on the following type of Scholarships:

• Federal Funded

• State Funded (including MHEC)

• Institutional Scholarships (from the school you are transferring to)

• Program Specific Scholarships (from the program you are transferring to)

• Private Donor Scholarships

Steps to Work On

1. The very first step of any scholarship search is to start early! Often deadlines for Institutional Scholarships can be one (1) semester before the scholarship is awarded. For example, Towson University (TU) awards a various transfer scholarships such as Transfer Awards, Phi Theta Kappa, and Presidential Scholarships. The catch is that the deadline is very early; students must apply by December 1st for scholarships awarded for the next year’s Fall admittance. One great research to help looking for transfer friendly scholarships is . You can create a profile and add scholarships and schools into your 'fishbowl' to contact you!

2. The second step to fill out your FAFSA by February 14th. The earlier bird gets the worm: students that make the February deadline get priority in Financial Aid.

3. The third step is to talk to the advisors, counselors, your Honors Program Director, your Phi Theta Kappa Program Director, and other faculty/staff at CCBC to see if they can recommend you transfer scholarships students have received in the past.

Students graduating with a 3.8 or above are welcome to utilize the scholarship search services provided by the Office of Articulation. Students graduating in December-January will need to contact the Office of Articulation in October. Students graduating in May-September will need to contact the Office of Articulation in February or March. Click here to reach the Articulation Assistant for further information.

4. The forth step is to print out all applications, write essays (have a friend, teacher, or someone proof read them), order all transcripts needed, request letters of recommendation, and put together all other documents requested.

5. After you mail out the documents, follow up on your application! It is very important to keep in contact with the person reviewing the documents. This insures all documents were received, and, it gives you an added advantage that the scholarship director or committee knows you and your story personally. Make an appointment to go and talk to them in person.

(Click here for more information)

text only | site map | privacy | contact CCBC
©2005 Copyright Community College of Baltimore County. All rights reserved.