2010 CCBC College Catalog

International Student Services

CCBC welcomes international students and offers programs and services that assist new and continuing international and immigrant students feel welcome in the college environment:

  • Welcome and Orientation programs.
  • Advisement of visa, immigration, financial, health insurance and employment matters from pre-arrival to departure.
  • Updates to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security of continuing F-1 students' registration, address changes and other events through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
  • Interpretation of college regulations, policies and procedures.
  • Transitional support for students seeking health insurance, transportation, banking, legal and other services in the community.
  • Advising and registration sessions.
  • Cross-cultural orientation, adjustment and referral to other services as needed.
  • Intercultural programs and activities to foster interaction and increased appreciation among international and U.S. students.
  • Social activities through the International Clubs, College Life and the Office of Multicultural Affairs.

Contact an International Student counselor for more information:

Sidy Tandia
CCBC Essex and CCBC Dundalk
CCBC Essex, Building A, Room 270

Hesham Henein
CCBC Catonsville
Building K, Room 102

Admission of International Students Applying for an F-1 Visa

The U.S. Embassy or Consulate, not the college, makes the final decision on granting the F-1 visa. A student with an F-1 visa is required to enroll full time for a minimum of 12 credits/billable hours during the fall and spring semesters.

A student with an F-1 visa is also required to pay all expenses, including tuition, fees, books, transportation, health insurance, housing and food during his or her enrollment at CCBC. The cost of the tuition and fees, including health insurance, is due at the time of registration.

A new international student applicant must complete and submit the following documents to the International Student Services Office to obtain an I-20 Form (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant F-1 Student Status):

  • Application for admission.
  • Original or certified copy of high school transcript (including verification of graduation) and/or transcript(s) from college(s) attended in any country. Transcripts should be accompanied by an English translation certified by a recognized authority. A student seeking advanced standing for college or university course work completed outside the U.S. will need to request a full course-by-course evaluation of their transcript(s). While the college does not recommend any particular evaluation service, the one most commonly used by our students is the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO). For more information, including costs, contact AACRAO at www.AACRAO.org.
  • Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Report (minimum score of 450 on the paper-based test or 133 on the computer-based test or 45 on the Internet-based test. TOEFL examination dates and information may be obtained through the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, or e-mail toefl@ets.org. Results should be sent to CCBC by indicating the college’s institutional codes: CCBC Catonsville (5137), CCBC Dundalk (5176), CCBC Essex (5192). A new F-1 student is required to take the placement tests. The TOEFL is not required if English is the applicant’s first language or a course equivalent to English 101 (College Composition) has been successfully completed with a “C” grade or higher at a U.S. college or university.
  • Notarized declaration of financial support form.
  • Financial statement from the financial sponsor on bank letterhead confirming a minimum of $17,189 (U.S. dollars) is currently available for applicant's educational expenses. This statement must be in English and must show equivalency to U.S. currency, and not dated more than 6 months prior to the date of application. Each year, non-resident students can expect to pay approximately $6,954 for tuition and fees; $2,035 for books, supplies, and health insurance; and $8,200 for housing, food, transportation and other personal expenses. A student accompanied by family members must provide documentation of an additional $3,000 for a spouse and $1,500 for each child. Health insurance is important and required since medical services in the U.S. are very expensive. Health insurance can be waived if verification of coverage is presented during the first semester.
  • Personal data sheet (please print all requested information).
  • Upon arrival in the U.S., a copy of passport pages, including photo ID page, visa, and I-94 Departure Record.

Application Deadline Dates for New F-1 Applicants

The Application for Admission and other supporting documents are due in the International Student Services Office by the following dates:

Fall Semester

June 1

Spring Semester

November 1

Summer Admission

Not Available

After all documents are received, International Student Services staff will determine admission and eligibility for the I-20. Applicants who meet all the requirements for admission will receive an acceptance letter and I-20 form.

Admission of International Transfer Students with F-1 Visas

An F-1 student who plans to transfer from another institution to CCBC must follow the same procedures and submit the same documents as the new F-1 applicant and include the following documents:

  • Copy of all I-20 forms issued by all previously attended U.S. institutions.
  • Official transcripts from all previously attended U.S. institutions
  • A letter or certificate of transfer eligibility from the most recently attended U.S. institution indicating student’s eligibility to transfer.
  • SEVIS release date form from the transferring institution.

An applicant transferring from another college or university within the U.S. who meets all admission requirements to CCBC will receive an acceptance letter and I-20 form. To complete the transfer process, applicants will need to meet with International Student Services staff.

Application Deadline Dates for F-1 Transfer Students

All required documents are due in the International Student Services Office by the following dates:

Fall Semester

August 1

Spring semester

January 1

Summer session I

May 1

Admission of Individuals Seeking Changes in Immigration Status

An individual currently in the U.S. who plans to change visa status to F-1 should follow the same procedures as a new F-1 applicant. Form I-539 and a check or money order for the appropriate funds must also be submitted to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in order to apply for a change of status. Approval for change of status rests with the USCIS. An individual with a B1/B2 visa cannot enroll in CCBC credit classes until the change of status has been approved.

Admission of Individuals with Other Non-immigrant Visas

In addition to the standard application procedures, all international students are required to submit proof of their immigration status at the time of application. Tuition and enrollment for international students is based upon both their immigration and residency status. Students without the appropriate documentation of immigration status may be admitted, but will be charged the out-of-state tuition rate.

An applicant who is in the U.S. on a temporary visa (Visitors for Business or Tourism, Scholars, Specialty Occupation Workers, etc.) must contact the International Student Services Office to have the application for admission and visa documents reviewed BEFORE registering for classes.

Visitors for Business or Tourism with B-1, B-2, WB, or WT visas can only enroll in non-credit courses offered through Continuing Education and Economic Development. For credit classes, refer to the section related to “Changes in Immigration Status.”

Enrollment in credit courses may be limited according to federal, state and college regulations. For additional information, contact an International Student Services staff member.

Official USCIS documentation should be submitted to the International Student Services Office if a student’s visa status changes for any reason during any period of enrollment. In some cases, a change in visa status may affect the tuition rate.

Contact International Student Services staff for additional information:

CCBC Catonsville
Hesham Henein
443-840-4992 (fax)

CCBC Dundalk/Essex
Sidy Tandia
443-840-2200 (fax)

Admission of Permanent Residents (Immigrant Students)

An applicant is considered an immigrant if s/he holds an Alien Registration Card (“green card”), refugee, or asylum documents from the U.S. Government. A permanent resident or an immigrant applicant will pay tuition based on their residence.

A non-immigrant who applies for permanent residency and possesses a Notice of Action statement from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security or an Employment Authorization Document with immigrant notations may file a petition for residency reclassification for the tuition.

The application process is:

Records and Registration Office
7201 Rossville Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21237

  • Present a permanent residency document (green card, form I-551 or I-151), refugee or asylum documents (I-94, passport, or official letter from the U.S. Government) to the Admissions office.
  • Send official transcripts from high school, or GED scores, or transcripts from previously attended colleges to the CCBC Records and Registration office on the campus you plan to attend:
CCBC Catonsville
800 South Rolling Road
Baltimore, MD 21228
CCBC Dundalk
7200 Sollers Point Road
Baltimore, MD 21222
CCBC Essex
7201 Rossville Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21237

Although SAT or ACT scores are not required for admission to CCBC, scores may be used for placement if the test was taken within two years from the date of application to CCBC. Some applicants may be exempt from placement testing with the following scores:

SAT - 550 or higher in either critical reading, writing and math or
ACT - 21 or higher in either reading, writing or math

Placement testing may be required for new first-time students.