International Student Services


Housing and Utilities

The Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC) does not offer on-campus housing facilities or dormitories. Therefore, international students need to arrange to live with either family, friends or rent a room or apartment. You may want to start your search online; and provide photos and basic information that can give you an idea of what is available in the different baltimore areas.


An apartment is a living unit shared with other residents in an apartment building. However, a student could have his/her own apartment.

A lease is a written agreement between a tenant and landlord describing the rights and responsibilities of each.

What should you look for in a lease? Determine the terms of the lease, whether it is renewable by the month or the year. In the absence of such provisions, you may be required to pay rent until the end of the period covered by the lease even if you move out and live elsewhere. (Many unpleasant disputes arise between landlords who want to keep their property rented and student renters who, after signing a lease, wish to live elsewhere).

Since a lease is a legally binding agreement, remember to:

Ask whether the lease is renewable by the month or the year or whether you can “break” the lease.

Ask what utilities are your responsibilities.


Once you have your housing you will need to contact various services that provide utilities such as gas, electricity, and water. Again, ask your landlord which services are included in your rental costs. Baltimore Gas & Electricity Company (BG&E) provides gas (used for heating and cooking or both) and electricity.

BG&E by phone: 1-800-685-0123

BG&E by mail: P.O. BOX 1431

Baltimore, Maryland 21203

Bills are considered late if not paid within twenty-one days after being issued. If you pay your bill late more than two times, you may have to pay a deposit for service to be turned back on.

Baltimore County provides water, sewer, and trash removal service to Baltimore County residents. To start service, call 410-396-5398 or talk to your landlord to determine if it is included in your rent. Baltimore County provides free trash removal services to residents.

text only | site map | privacy | contact CCBC
©2005 Copyright Community College of Baltimore County. All rights reserved.