Application for change of status within the United States

If you have a non-immigrant visa and want to change to F-1 status (full-time student), you are required to provide the following documents:
  • I-901 SEVIS fee
  • Completed I-539 form
  • Check for $370.00 made payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security
  • Letter to explain why you are requesting a change of status
  • Copy of your I-94 card
    • Copy of your spouse's I-94 if your status is dependent on their visa status.
  • Copies of your valid passport and visa pages
    • Copy of your spouse's passport and visa pages if you are dependent on their visa status.
  • Copies of the Affidavit of Support, bank statement, or other proof of sufficient funding and a declaration of financial support form confirming funds to cover academic and living expenses. Currently, the costs are $25,570 for a year of study.
  • Personal data sheet indicating home country address, local address, and emergency information
For additional information, contact international student services at 443.840.1005 or 443.840.5005.