Working on Campus

International students are allowed to work on campus after they have successfully completed their first two semesters of classes.

However, positions on campus are limited and very competitive. Most positions require excellent English communication skills in addition to other qualifications.

Please note: United States Citizenship and Immigration Services poses several restrictions on off-campus employment for F-1 International students. Please visit the USCIS website for further details. 

Where can I find an on-campus position?

First, meet with an international student counselor in ISS to discuss your reasons for seeking employment. The ISS counselor will then direct you to schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor who will assist you in submitting your name for an on-campus job.

Second, if you have excellent grades and communication skills, you may want to consider tutoring. In the past, international students have found tutoring positions in the Student Success Center very rewarding.

For more information on available on-campus positions, schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor.

Do I need a Social Security Number?

You do not need a Social Security Number to apply for a position, but you will need one in order to start working. As soon as you are offered a position, you should contact an International Student Services counselor for information on how to obtain a social security number.